Thursday 25 September 2008

Tom Dick and Nevil

Tom,Dick and Nevil
Yours truly with Tom Dick and Nevil.

There is quite an interesting story attached to this sculpture.It stands in
Perch Rock in New Brighton here on the Wirral.In it's heyday,New Brighton
was a bustling sea-side resort, popular with local people and visitors, who
flocked there in their hundreds,particularly on Bank holidays.I remember my
Mum and Dad taking me there when I was a little girl and the beach would be
absolutely packed. The sculpture was made in 1993 and was designed to
complement the Victorian feel of the resort.It was copied from an original
photo of three Victorian gentlemen who were regular visitors to New Brighton
and who were known as Tom Dick and Harry.They were later renamed Tom,
Dick and Nevil in honour of three of the consultants involved in a
regeneration programe for the area. Some of you will have seen the first
picture in Paintbox Pictures but this is the original.

13 comments:

Dewdrop said...

I was looking for your sky watch shot... is it not up yet? sigh. These are cool statues.

2sweetnsaxy said...

This is why I like viewing blogs from all over. You get to learn a little bit about places I may never visit and thing I may not otherwise see. :-)

Anonymous said...

What fun!

Pretty Life Online said...

is this your SWF entry? Great job! Reminds me the saying,,,, We never know how high we are, till we are called to ris; and then, if we are true to plan, our statures touch the sky... Happy Skywatch! Hope you can visit my SWF entry too...

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Great shot for SWF and beautiful painting work, there.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wha a fun photo! Tom, Dick and....hmmmm. Never heard of Nevil before but now I know.
Happy Sky Watch!

BNS said...

Interesting story. Nice blue sky behind you there.

Bobbie in Hawaii

Maria said...

Interesting story! And beautiful skywatch photo - the sky is burning :)
Have a nice weekend and thanks for coming to my blog!

Arija said...

bnAh, holding hands with the elite! This gives a whole new meaning to
'here's looken at you kid'.

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Interesting shot!

Friends are Friends for ever!
And the sky like background!

Thanks for visit my blog!

Luiz

Craver Vii said...

That's a cute pose. :-)

Fish Whisperer said...

Great post and description.
Cheers

Kichu $ Chinnu | കിച്ചു $ ചിന്നു said...

interesting story and a nice post.
i simply loved the sunset photo in hte previous post